Thursday, May 26, 2011

Assignment 2-2 Icons

New Kids on the Block
The American boy band from Massachusetts started in 1984 by producer Maurice Starr. The band members, Jordan and Jonathan Knight who are brothers, Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg, and Danny Wood. The band was very successful in the late 1980’s and early 1990s and had sold over 80 million records worldwide. They have also won many awards, in 1990 thy won two American Music Awards for favorite Pop Band. In 1994 they decided to part their own ways, and there were several attempts to get the band back together for years but they were unsuccessful. In 2008 they secretly got back together recording a new CD, The Block, and started a concert tour in 2008. They have been selling out concerts and are doing a tour this summer.

The Cabbage Patch Kids                                      
Cabbage Patch Kids line of dolls were created by Xavier Roberts in 1978. They originally started out being called “Little People”. The original dolls were sold at local craft shows and were made of all fabric. The dolls then switched to hard plastic heads and soft fabric bodies in 1982. The dolls were very popular and a must have toy for Christmas. Each doll had a birth certificate and each doll had a given name and birth date.  The Cabbage Patch kids went on to become the most popular toy fad of the 80s and the longest running doll franchises in America and later a cartoon came out.

Punky Brewster
Soleil Moon Frye at the age of eight played a spunky orphan in the popular 1980s NBC TV series Punky Brewster. The show had an extended life in reruns after it ended in 1986, making Brewster somewhat of a pop culture icon for the '80s generation. She always had her hair in pigtails, wearing bright colored clothes, leggings, and ruffled socks.


I chose these three icons because they were all a part of my life growing up. I chose the New Kids on the block because they were my favorite boy band growing up; I had my room decked out in NKOTB from floor to the ceiling, posters, curtains, blankets, and rugs. I had a NKOTB backpack, you name it I probably had it. I was crazy about them and their music. I would say they were the guys that made me boy crazy. J

 I chose Cabbage Patch Dolls because I received a one every year for my birthday and Christmas. That is all I ever asked for; while other children had a list for Santa I had one request, a new Cabbage Patch Doll. The Cabbage Patch Dolls were my best friends, I took one everywhere I went and when I played teacher they were my students. I have over seventy Cabbage Patch Dolls in my parent’s attic and plan to one day give them to my children.

My last choice was Punky Brewster. I was always told I looked like her. I loved her colorful wardrobe as well as her personality. She was a strong willed little girl who if she put her mind to it, could do anything that she wanted. I saw her as a role model and honestly looking back now I was just like her. She was always happy no matter what happened and had a positive attitude. I remember dressing like her baggy shirts, bright colored belts, and mismatched socks. She is definitely an icon to this day!

References:
New Kids on the Block, Retrieved May 24, 2011, from StarPlus:
http://www.starpulse.com/Music/New_Kids_On_The_Block/

The Cabbage Patch Kids, Retrieved May 24, 2011, from Cabbage Patch Kids:
http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/

Punky Brewster, Retrieved May 24, 2011, from TV.com
http://www.tv.com/punky-brewster/show/266/summary.html



1 comment:

  1. Amy Eshelman (eshelm02)May 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

    Oh you have chosen 2 of my very favorite things from my childhood! NKOTB and CPK!! I am actually going to the NKOTB concert in July. They will be in Cleveland, Ohio, and I just cannot wait! Cabbage Patch Kids hold a very special place in my heart. I am orignially from a small town in Georgia, which is home of the original CPK. The founder Xavier Roberts was from this town, and they built "Babyland General Hospital". You can go there and watch the kids be born out of the Cabbage Patch. My grandma took me there every summer when I was growing up. Now, I take my kids every summer, and they love it just as much I as do!

    ReplyDelete